I personally love BIG thinking. When we are able to see patterns, trends and gain insights to help predict the flow of the market, we can better adjust our sails to make full use of tides and winds to flow with life.
Here are 12 facts, trends and a few surprises of interest:
- The $1.4 trillion global travel market is growing rapidly, is highly fragmented and highly competitive.
- Mobile bookings are consistently on the rise, with Asia Pacific users being the most mobile savvy.
- Just under three quarters of Australian hotel shoppers booked their travel online via OTAs, compared with just 21% who went direct to the hotel.
- OTA consumers are value-conscious, brand-agnostic shoppers who spend time searching online for the perfect hotel or holiday.
- One in four Australians are booking via mobile.
- Consumers are constantly connected to their phone, computer and tablet all at the same time, and their purchasing habits are reflecting this.
- Expedia has invested over AUD $1.3bn to ensure great mobile experiences for consumers.
- The Expedia group data for the first half of 2016 demonstrated a 50% increase in international demand for Australian packages.
- Over a third of OTA customers (36%) are between the ages of 25-39 years – a blend of Generation X (those born between the 60s and 80s) and millennials (those who reached adulthood around the year 2000)
- Millennials now represent almost four in 10 leisure travellers. They are also the group who travel internationally more than any other age group.
- More than a third of 18-34 year olds (38%) typically use an OTA to book a hotel, while less than one fifth (18%) book on a hotel website.
- Expedia customers come from more than 75 countries worldwide including three of the fastest-growing sources of international travellers – China, USA, and UK
These insights on OTA customers will help hoteliers better identify the behavioural patterns of current and prospective travellers, and are essential to understanding the challenges that lie ahead in a rapidly-shifting market.
Read the full article at - http://ehotelier.com/insights/2016/10/14/customers-book-otas-facts-trends-surprises/