Here are a few key notes:
- Know who you want to appeal to
- Start with professionally written copy
- Add professional photography
- Have a style guide and stick to it
- Tell your story and be unique
- Use highly searched keywords in site copy
- Develop appealing special offers around your article
- Coordinate distribution of offers and information across channels, social media & newsletters
- Monitor traffic and user interaction to identify the most appealing articles
1. Research the reader – Know who you want to appeal to
This may seem like a given, but many times hoteliers, especially as launch time nears, find themselves pressed for time and attending to a million other details. The basic step of figuring out whom your web content addresses gets lost in the shuffle. Before considering content for a website or social media channel, you need to go back to the basics and identify who exactly you need to and will be talking to — road warriors, occasional business guests, leisure travelers, retirees, families with kids, etc. You then need to take that knowledge and actively generate content that appeals to the identified groups.
2. Start with professionally written copy
You wouldn’t skimp on carpeting and furnishings for your hotel’s lobby, so why let an amateur craft the online image of your hotel? Poorly written, disorganised copy will have site visitors bouncing from your site like a red rubber ball. Invest the time and money to hire a professional who can showcase your hotel.
3. Add professional photography
Perhaps the only thing worse than site content written by an amateur is photography shot by an amateur. Poorly lit, grainy photos won’t sell your property, no matter how nice it is or what a deal the price is.
4. Have a style guide and stick to it
A Style Guide is your site’s secret weapon. It’s the behind the scenes playbook that keeps the online image of your site and all sites within your brand consistent. It spells out everything from font type and size to photo size and number of characters in blocks of copy. Thoughtfully develop and enforce rigorously!
5. Tell your story & Be unique
Connect all of the outstanding elements of your hotel so that they tell a story both visually and verbally. Take guests on a journey through your hotel from exterior to guest room using properly ordered photographs that hit the hotel’s highpoints. Written content should flow seamlessly from paragraph to paragraph, page to page, setting the standards for guest expectations.
Each hotel has unique features that set it apart from all the rest. Is it your exceptional customer service and freshly baked cookies? Your outstanding location? Your free shuttle service? Your world-class restaurants? Help your guests discover what makes your hotel special.
6. Use highly searched keywords in site copy
Use professional tools to research SEO keywords potential guests use when they search for a hotel and expertly weave those keywords into site copy.
7. Develop appealing special offers and update them regularly
Draw in guests by putting special offer packages together that encourage them to book. For example, a Romance Package around Valentine’s Day can include room night, breakfast and carriage tour. Update seasonally. Distribute those messages across the right channels—website, facebook, e-mail, etc.
8. Coordinate distribution of offers and information across channels
Think through all the touch points where potential guests may have contact with your hotel – website, e-mail, social media, etc. Craft and disseminate your content so that it works together to dialogue with your potential guests about your hotel.
9. Monitor traffic and user interaction to identify hard working pages
Tap into your analytics. Make sure you understand what it is they are telling you. Look for pages that are highly trafficked and retain guests. Make more pages like these. Also look for pages that don’t perform as well, identify why and make changes to (or eliminate) these pages.
Read the full article by Anonymous at Tnooz
Want to chat?
We’re here to help support you grow your business and create an exceptional online experience for your hotel. Phone +61 7 5446 4368 or book a phone call appointment.