How to be a Subject Line Superhero
Enjoy, have fun with your email campaigns and start getting excited with the results you are going to get.
Busy, organized people thrive on efficiency. These readers need you to be clear and concise in your subject lines, as time is always an asset. Help them out by placing pertinent information up front in your subject lines.
- Amazing local event – April 1st
- Big news – New refurbished rooms now open
Personal touches—we all love them. Taking a personalized approach to your subject lines can help engage an audience from the beginning.
- Thanks for staying with us, Lucy
- Oscar, we have just released our summer specials
People often respond to the possibility of losing out on something, rather than to the promise of gaining something.
- 72hrs only to book these great specials
- Only one day left to register to win
The Clever and Catchy
A catchy subject line can stand out among the scores of droll ones around it. Humor is tough, though, and you have to take care not to confuse or alienate.
- Rock star treatment for earlybirds
- Cool as a cucumber with these summer specials
Given that most smartphones only display five or six words of a subject line—and because more than 41% of today’s email campaigns are opened on mobile devices—brevity is critical.
- Gr8t Specials
There’s a reason lists have grown so common: they work. Lists provide content in a snappy, snackable way and build curiosity. Plus, incorporating numbers into your subject line creates focus, as our brains are naturally drawn to digits.
- Our 10 favourite restaurants in Broadbeach
- Top 5 healthy food choices near us
Asking readers a question in your subject line can immediately engage them and create an instant dialogue. Try to keep your questions open-ended so your reader can’t answer them with a quick “no.”
- When did you have a super relaxing break with the family?
- Is it time for a beach break?
The how-to subject line offers insight into the specific benefit readers will find when they open your email. And as long as your “how-to” is valuable to the audience, open rates can soar.
- How to get your hands on our best ever rates
- How to get the best sleep on holiday
FOMO – fear of missing out. We don’t want to freak you out, but humans have a deep fear of missing out—on anything. So email subject lines threatening scarcity (hurry, before it’s too late!) tend to perform well.
- Only 24hrs left to lock in these great rates
- Just 2 beachfront apartments left for September school holidays
Location-specific language and offers shows readers that you’ve done your homework. You know their vicinity and have a message that applies specifically to them. Many readers open these emails whether or not they’re initially interested, just to see what’s happening in their areas. What a great hook!
- Join us at Blues Fest this weekend
- Enjoy the Ocean st food festival with us
The Trendy Topic
Style sells. Most people want to be ‘in the know’ about the latest trends. The latest fascinations are compelling, motivating readers to look inside for more details.
- Now trending – Hunter Wines win Gold
- The latest technology in room just installed
The best subject lines grab attention, and controversy can help you do that. But tread lightly—this strategy requires great care to pull off.
- Why our work/life is out of balance
- Sleeping less is not a badge of honour
Who couldn’t use a little more clarity these days? Using a command in your email subject line tells the readers exactly what you want them to do. So try starting your subject line with an action verb to encourage a response.
- Book direct and save
- Subscribe and get the best rate guaranteed
Conventional SEO wisdom tells us keywords are a vital part of a blog post title. So try applying that same logic to your subject lines.
- The 10 best beaches in Australia revealed
- Upgrading your Melbourne Accommodation just got easier
In our age of analytics and data, statistics have become a great way to provide proven, objective information. Using a simple statistic in your subject line offers straightforward insight while also piquing curiosity.
- 50% of bookings miss out on the best room types
- 1 out of 3 suffer from poor sleep because of this
The Sneak Peek
Everyone wants to be a trendsetter or early adopter, so why not feed that desire? Assuming you’ve got a valuable opportunity, including exclusives and sneak peeks right in your subject line is a sure-fire way to increase your open rates.
- Sneak peek at our latest facilities
- Be the first to experience our new penthouse – see for yourself
Great incentives inspire great responses. So why not include that incentive right up front in the subject line? Put your offer there for all to see. If your list is well is targeted and your offer legit, you should see your open rates rise.
- Win a 5 night beach break
- Get your adventure discount coupons here
Now it time to try these out and get a few more email campaigns scheduled. If you need a hand we are always close by and ready, willing and able to help you draw in thousands more visitors to your website. It is easy, let us show you how.
All Insight Articles