Our Top Web & Marketing Findings for 2013
2013 has been a big year for web design and online marketing. We thought we would share our top findings for the year, with the most prominent standouts being responsive web design, Google Hummingbird, flat design, the growing use of HTML5 and Social Media.
Top 4 Web Design Industry Findings for the Year that was 2013
- 1. Responsive Web Design Responsive Web Design is a way of building websites to provide an optimal viewing experience across all devices like mobile phones, tablets and desktops. This means the website will automatically respond to any device the user is viewing it from, without losing quality of content and remaining easy to navigate. Recent research has shown that there continues to be large sales of mobile phones and tablets, and with this has come an impressive growth of users accessing websites with these devices. This makes it essential for your website to be responsive.
Some examples of our newer responsive websites are www.aussieworld.com.au and www.pebbledesign.com. You'll see that the content on these websites is easy to access across mobile, table and desktop (try resizing your browser window to see).
- 2. Design At Pebble, we keep up to date with the latest design trends. Here are a few examples we have seen become more prominent in 2013:
- Flat, clean web design: Flat design has made websites cleaner. This design focuses on the user experience and on the content of the site, rather than overloading users with unnecessary design elements. Clean websites don't need to be boring. On the contrary; they can be elegant, modern, quick to load and easy to use.
- Parallax Scrolling: Adding small effects to images and content that appear as you scroll allowing for a better, more interesting user experience.
- Animations: With the increase in HTML5, CSS3 & jQuery technology (the code we use to build your site) it now allows us to animate certain elements of a website. This can be the stand out factor of a site. With new mobile technology coming out each year, animations now work with most mobile devices.
- Typography: With great range of web fonts easily accessible for designers now, there has been a huge rise in big, bold headings and large scale typography. The choice of typeface used can express your brands personality and when combined with large type can effectively communicate your message to your customers.
- 3. SEO This was a big year for SEO with Google making a major change in its search algorithm; Google Hummingbird. Hummingbird is not a tweak to the Panda and Penguin algorithms, it has been completely changed. Hummingbird now affects 90% of all searches in Google.
- 4. Social MediaThe use of Social media in business has increased dramatically over 2013 and provides a way for businesses to communicate to their customers on a more personal level. We have seen social media platforms become increasingly popular like Google Plus and Pinterest.