I love it when big data reveals industry insights - find out what the trend is for people staying connected with email marketing, plus 15 reasons why email marketing is champion…
In email marketing, an unsubscribe represents someone saying “that’s enough.” But email doesn’t exist in a vacuum, it’s just one channel in a growing landscape of online messages. In 2006 there was no such thing as a brand Facebook page or advanced ad targeting, so is all this marketing noise in 2016 driving more and more people to opt out of these messages?
I love how Ryan Solutions took email performance data from 20,000 hotel and resort newsletter campaigns sent to over 1,000,000,000 people since 2007. They then found the average opt out rate for each year including year-to-date results for 2016.
And the results - People actually want to stay in the loop! Consistently low opt out rates from 2007 to 2016. (From 0.23% opt out in 2007 and 2012 to lows of 0.17% in 2009 and 0.18 in 2013, there really hasn’t been a consistent trend up or down from an average of about 0.21% for our client sample since 2007.)
Some interesting stats on email marketing:
- Transactional emails have 8x more opens and clicks than any other type of email, and can generate 6x more revenue.
- Email marketing technology is used by 82% of B2B and B2C companies.
- Automated email messages average 70.5% higher open rates and 152% higher click-through rates than “business as usual” marketing messages.
- US marketing executives believe email alone drives the same amount of revenue as their social media, website, and display ad efforts combined, according to The Relevancy Group.
- 72% of consumers chose email when asked, “In which of the following ways, if any, would you prefer companies to communicate with you?” according to MarketingSherpa.
- Email marketing ROI is the second most easily measured (after paid search).
- Email is the most-used source of data for analytics, with 41% of businesses mining their data from the performance of their email marketing campaigns, according to Salesforce.
- 23% of potential online buyers purposely abandon their shopping carts in order to collect coupons that sellers send to try and close the sale, according to Bizrate Insights.
- Email marketing was the biggest marketing channel on Black Friday, driving 25.1% of all transactions, according to Custora.
- Apple phone and tablet top the charts on most popular device for checking email. iPhone, Gmail, and iPad remained the top 3 email clients all year, Android started off at #6 but rose to #4, Outlook dropped from #4 to #5
- Email is 40 times more effective at acquiring new customers than Facebook or Twitter.
- Email marketing has an ROI of 3800%
- The total number of worldwide email accounts is expected to increase to over 4.3 billion accounts by year-end 2016.
- Open rate is highest when companies send two emails per month.
- 83% of B2B marketers use email newsletters for content marketing.
Email marketing shines year-round, but it’s particularly vital during the holiday season and other peak seasons. To make sure that your emails are performing their best, consider adding seasonal content to your triggered emails and sending re-permission, win-back, and preference update emails to get your database in tip-top shape for the holidays.
Armed with these email marketing statistics, you know that email marketing is as relevant as ever.
Want to chat?
We’re here to help support you grow your business and create an exceptional online experience for your hotel. Phone +61 7 5446 4368 or book a phone call appointment.