Videos influence travel decisions
YouTube data shows that travellers are spending more time watching online videos than ever before, with views of travel-related content up 118% year over year (YoY). According to the data, travellers are increasingly using mobile devices to consume travel-related videos anytime and anywhere; in 2013, mobile devices accounted for roughly 30% of all travel video views, with mobile viewing up 97% on smartphones and 205% on tablets, YoY.
Across devices - desktop and mobile - travellers are consuming travel-related videos around the clock. Nearly half are viewed during prime time (3:00-10:00 p.m. PST) While desktop users tend to watch videos throughout the day, smartphone and tablet users tend to tune in during the evening hours.
Compelling content grabs traveller's attention
While travel watchers on YouTube are interested in community-generated content, the majority of travel-related views (67%) are for brand or professionally released videos. In fact, views of branded videos are up 394% YoY, and we see companies with a strong brand presence, such as Turkish Airlines, Disney Parks & Resorts and Expedia, making the most of this opportunity.
- spend more time than ever watching videos on YouTube
- use YouTube as a primary source for travel inspiration
- watch travel videos across devices
- view content across all of YouTube’s travel categories
- ages 18 to 24 subscribe to content focused on inspiration for future travel (video blogs)
- ages 25 to 64 subscribe to content to help them plan current travel (reviews, travel brands and travel networks)
- watch video content in other categories during travel research (restaurants, spas and beauty services, finance, extreme sports, and cooking and recipes)
Our research revealed that travellers:
The bottom line
As digital video becomes an even bigger part of the traveller’s journey, it’s increasingly important for advertisers to seize the opportunity. A strong video strategy can help brands reach, inspire and engage today's digitally savvy traveller in more ways than ever before.
Want to chat?
We’re here to help support you grow your business and create an exceptional online experience for your hotel. Phone +61 7 5446 4368 or book a phone call appointment.